Monday, May 9, 2011

I Read This (April)

Yes, I know I missed March. Does it really matter?

Romance
Something Wonderful, Once and Always, Almost Heaven by Judith McNaught: I have a serious weakness for her historicals. REALLY serious. I've read each of these more than 3x. Except for this one, this one is terrible: Until You.

The Untamed Bride by Stephanie Laurens: This was just barely tolerable.

What Happens in London by Julia Quinn, When Beauty Tamed the Beast by Eloisa James, Manhunting by Jennifer Crusie, Millie's Fling by Jill Mansell, Sea Swept by Nora Roberts, The Trouble With Paradise, Animal Magnetism, Get a Clue, and Smart and Sexy all by Jill Shalvis: With the exception of the Quinn which is a historical and the James which is something else, all of these are contemporary romances by well known authors. All of them are cute but not really memorable. They are probably perfect beach books.

Crazy for You by Jennifer Crusie, When He Was Wicked by Julia Quinn, and The Street Where She Lives by Jill Shalvis: If you think romance novels can't be serious, you should read these.

Devil at Midnight by Emma Holly: This is more paranormal/erotic than straight-up romance, but there is a love story? A time-travel/vampire/naked-bits love story? I liked it but I feel like I shouldn't have. I am not going to tell you that I am reading the sequel. Ahem.

Silver Angel by Johanna Lindsey: READ THIS. Just for sheer WTFery. Go to that link and look at that cover. It is GLORIOUS.

Fantasy/Urban Fantasy
Blameless by Gail Carriger: Fun, funny, and a little silly. Read it but read the first 2 books in The Parasol Protectorate first.
The Native Star by M.K. Hobson: Weird and awesome (and weird). The sequel was just released. I am all over it.
Shriek: An Afterword by Jeff VanderMeer: Dear Mr. VanderMeer, you are very strange. I like your books, but they make me uncomfortable. Also, thanks for ruining mushrooms for me.

YA Fiction
The Duff by Kody Keplinger: See here
Things I Know About Love by Kate Le Vann: Yes, but be prepared to cry.
The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart: Funny and good character growth, but meh? I didn't hate it.
Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins: Yes, morepleasekthx.
Endless Summer by Jennifer Echols: Meh, I didn't really like the narrator. In either story.
Identical by Ellen Hopkins: The whole thing is written in free verse. And it is pretty amazing but very dark.

YA Fantasy
Switched by Amanda Hocking: NO! This is terrible. TERRIBLE.
Keturah and Lord Death by Martine Leavitt: Yes? I liked it, but?
The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan: Nope. Very disappointing.
Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George: Super cute, so yes.


1 comment:

  1. I'm sad that something which as cool a name as "The Forest of Hands and Teeth" sucked.

    And the cover of Silver Angel has changed my life.

    ReplyDelete